Rasnov Fortress (Rosenau in German), is located on a rocky hilltop in the Carpathian
mountains, 200m above the town of Rasnov in Romania. It is 15 km southwest of Brasov
and also about 15 km from Bran Castle. The fortress is on the Bran Pass, a trade
route connecting Wallachia with Transylvania.
The view from the top of the castle hill is spectacular.
Saxons first settled in Transylvania in the 11th century, and the Saxon town of Rasnov
was founded in 1225. Following the first Tartar invasion of 1241, a series of fortresses
were constructed by the Teutonic Knights to defend the people. Rasnov Fortress is
one of these peasant fortresses. This castle differs from some in that it was meant
to be a place of refuge for the commoners from sieges over extended periods of time.
As such it had at least 30 houses, a school, a chapel, and other buildings more commonly
associated with a village.
During a particularly long siege of the fortress, the citizens of Râşnov were concerned
about the lack of available fresh drinking water. Two Turkish soldiers, having been
captured earlier, were put to the task of digging a well in the centre of the fortress.
These two men were assured that they would be given their freedom once the well was
completed. According to local legend, it took them 17 years to finish the well, but
they were still killed afterwards. This famous well still sits in the centre of Râşnov
Fortress, and is 143 metres deep.
The last siege of Rasnov Fortress took place in 1690 during the last Turkish invasion
of Transylvania. It was damaged by fire in 1718 and rebuilt the following year. The
next major damage occurred as the result of an earthquake in 1802. The fortress was
last used as a place of refuge during the revolution of 1848.
The citadel was conquered only once in its history, around the year 1600 by Gabriel
9 am - 7 pm
Adult 10 Ron
Child 5 Ron
How to get there
Car: 14km from on the E574 towards Pitesti from Brasov