Jews have lived in Braşov since 1807, when Aron Ben Jehuda was given permission to
live in the city, a privilege until then granted only to Saxons.
The Jewish Community of Braşov was officially founded 19 years later, followed by
the first Jewish school in 1864, and the building of the synagogue in 1901. The Jewish
population of Braşov was 67 in 1850, but it expanded rapidly to 1,280 people in 1910,
and 4,000 in 1940. Today the community has about 230 members, after many families
left for Israel between World War II and 1989.
Their are 2 Synagogues in Brasov. The old Orthodox Synagogue which was built in 1877
for then the new community of Orthodox Jews. The synagogue was ravaged by the Nazi’s
from 1927 upto the WW2. This synagogue can be found at 64 Castelului.
The main synagogue (or Jewish temple) can be found on 27 Poarta Schei St. and was
built in 1899.