The Old city of Brasov, formerly called Kronstadt by the Saxon settlers is one of
the best preserved old cities in Europe today. With many of its old fortifications
systems still very visible
The White Tower was part of the old fortification system built around the old city
by the Saxons the defend the city from invading Mongols and Turks who repeatedly
attacked and destroyed the old settlements of Bartholoma and Corona.
Most of the defence system was built between 1400 and 1650 where the city walls were
erected together with massive defence towers and gates. Part of the defence wall,
once 40ft high, 7ft thick and 2 miles longs can be seen today
The White Tower was built in the 15th Century. Inside there are 5 flights of wooden
fighting galleries and display of the historic armouries used to defend the city.
The tower offers some amazing photographic opportunities over the city as does the
Black Tower which was built in 1494 and gets its name after being burnt down in 1559
after being struck by lightening.
Of the seven bastions several have survived including the recently restored Graft
Bastion which was used to connect the White Tower to the defence system for the city.
Like the White today the Graft Bastion is a museum and is worth a visit.
The only orginal gate into the city to have survived is Catherine’s Gate. Built in
1559 it was once the main entrance to the Saxon city. Nearby is the Schei Gate which
was the entrance to the Schei district where during the 13th - 17th century Romanians
had to live as they were forbidden to live in the old city by the Saxon colonisers.
Romanians could only use the Schei Gate and had to pay a toll to enter